Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Pandora Update

Reference to my previous post about the music streaming site, Pandora.

I've had a couple of friendly exchanges with the "Listener Advocate" at Pandora support desk and have learned a few new things about how it works.
Here are excerpts from our emails:

Q: I'm a little curious what happens when I seed widely different genres into the same station, for instance, Diana Krall, and Gipsy Kings?

A: If you seed a station with Diana Krall and Gipsy Kings, you should get a station that plays "sets" of matches by each one. One set of 4 Krall-esque songs, and then one set of 4 Gipsy-esque songs.

Q: So now, the next question is, what if you enter two not so widely different artists, Joni Mitchell and Jane Monheit, for instance?

A: If you seed a station with similar-sounding artists, your station will be a lot more homogeneous. I personally have both types of stations; ones that whip around wildly, and ones that stick to a specific style of music.

A general understanding of their system can be gleaned from their FAQ, and a very thorough
review of their project can be found here.

I mentioned that I checked out two web sites in the previous post, but I didn't mention the other one. It's Protopage. It is a kind of Widgets for your browser. It only works with Internet Explorer and Firefox. I've tried it on Safari and Opera and sure enough it didn't function. I mention it now, because I was able to add a web page widget within Protopage that has the Pandora site embedded in the page. It works just fine, but I'm still not ready to give an unconditional endorsement to Protopage. Pandora is definitely thumbs up!

No comments: