Friday, April 28, 2006

A Cool Music Streaming Site

I recently discovered the Podcast, "Inside the Net"
Catching up on the earlier podcasts, I was interested enough in episode 6 to check out two of the sites they talked about.

One of them blew me away. The developer is a musician by training and profession.
Movie and TV producers would hire him to compose music for segments in their shows.
They would bring him music that they had compiled from commercial releases and say, "This music would work in this spot. Can you compose something like this for us?" This got him thinking about classifying the attributes of the different kinds of music.

The result is explained here.


He generated a site that you can "seed" with music titles or artists that you enjoy, and it will create a playlist that has an uncanny ability to play music that you like, whether you have heard of it or not. I've now discovered a number of artists that I've never heard of or listened to before.

Try it out! Music Genome Project

You can sample my preferences here.

No comments: