Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Grown Man

Living and working in the Puget Sound area, almost everyone I know has taken a crack at the famous STP.
Four years ago, C and I took one of our road trips to Texas and back. One morning on the trip, we were in West Texas, just south of the panhandle. Since we were practically in Larry McMurtry's back yard, it was appropriate that we stop for breakfast at a Dairy Queen. While we were ordering at the counter, a local couple came in. They were about our parents age. As C and I took our place at a booth, a second couple came in. The four were friends and sat down in the booth directly behind me. C and I ate our breakfast quietly, listening to the sound of their conversation. We weren't eavesdropping, just enjoying the dry, slow drawl of their voices.
Then, one of the women said to her husband, "Tell them what you saw yesterday." This caught our attention. In a tone of disbelief, the old man said, "Well, I saw a grown man ridin' a bicycle through town!"
C and I couldn't look at each other. The strain of stifling our giggles brought tears to our eyes.

No comments: