Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Lunch With My Protege

I have a protege. Doesn't everyone?

We met at Salty's on Alkai Beach for a nice visit and wonderful food. She paid.
It wasn't always that way.

I met her twelve years ago. I was flying corporate jets, and she had never flown anything but light, piston engine planes. Our group was pretty tough on her. But I felt we had an obligation to train her to be as good a pilot as she could be. It turns out she was, and is, a good pilot. I wasn't very happy with my job or the people in our organization at the time. Partly to show everyone up and to have something to distract me, I decided to coach her in the ways of the Citation III. At first, she was in over her head. It took her several months before she could land it to suit me. One night she got it. I had talked her through a visualization of the final approach and landing and then said, "Make me proud." She did, and she has ever since.

Not long after that, I got promoted to a better job and left the group. We stayed in touch and I gave her as much encouragement and advice as I could. It got pretty grim for her. Finally, she got a break and got hired by a major airline. But that was rocky as well. Economic downturn left her on the street, as we say; layed off. When I saw her during those times, I listened and chose my word very carefully. Eventually, she got recalled to the commuter service of her carrier and finally got back on line with the big jets. Now, she is a pilot on both the Boeing 757 and 767, flying to Europe, Asia, and Hawaii. She told me that on her check-ride in the 757, the evaluator said he liked the way she handled the V-1 Cut (a simulated engine failure at the most critical time on takeoff). "I did it just like you tought me, Uncle Don." Her parents might be more proud of her than I, but it's close.

In the past, when we met for lunch, I was always "there" for her, listening, encouraging, advising, and paying. This time, I could just enjoy visiting with her. We are both very happy with our lives. She, at the beginning of an adventure, and I, near the end of one.

No comments: