Thursday, November 23, 2006

Xiamen and Gulangyu Photos

These are, more or less, a random collection of pictures I took during my visit to Xiamen, China and it's satellite island, Gulangyu.

Near my hotel was a boulevard that had been blocked off as a pedestrian only shopping area. My last day in country, my last couple of hours, in fact, I frantically walked through this area taking pictures of the shops and people. Some, I asked if I could take their picture, and everyone was happy to pose. Since I stood out, and had gotten used to being stared at, it wasn't difficult to get their attention with my camera. These two girls were enjoying a break.


This young lady was walking past me and let me take her picture.






This delightful woman came up to me and wanted her picture taken. I was tickled to oblige. After I'd snapped the picture, she said , "Xie, Xie." "Thank you" I said, "Xie, Xie" as she hurried away, waving, very pleased with herself. I heard this recently, "Growing old is a privilege, not a curse." She embodied that sentiment.







I frequently noticed people snacking on corn on the cob, which they buy from street vendors. When I eat corn on the cob, I'm never as elegant as this young lady.










Earlier in the week, we walked to the ferry docks to cross the channel to Gulangyu. They've created beautiful parks on both sides of the channel. This is on the Xiamen side.





Another of the Xiamen side.









The park on the Gulangyu side has almost a theme park feel to it.






I was told of two other parks within a short distance from our hotel, but didn't have the time to find and explore them. This is another view of the Gulangyu park, just on the west shore of the channel.

No comments: